Private Well Testing Day
2022 Well Testing Day
The 2022 Private Well Testing Day will take place on May 9, 2022. This program is open to all private well owners in Calumet County. This year's host communities include the Village of Potter, Town of Rantoul, Town of New Holstein and Town of Chilton. Registration is required, and space may be limited. Town of Chilton well owners, please use the Town of Chilton form to register.
- Registration Deadline is April 22, 2022.
- Sample Kit Distribution Dates, Locations and Times
- Tuesday, May 3 at New Holstein Town Hall, 5-7PM
- Wednesday, May 4 at Chilton Town Hall, 5-7PM
- Thursday, May 5 at , Potter Village Hall 6-8PM
- Wednesday, May 4 at Calumet County Courthouse, 10AM - 2PM
- Sample Kit Return Location and Times (ALL MONDAY, MAY 9)
- Calumet County Courthouse, 10AM - 2PM
- Chilton Town Hall, 5-7PM
- Potter Village Hall, 5-7PM
- New Holstein Town Hall, 5-7PM
How to Sample Your Well
Here is a quick 5 minute video on how to sample your well for 3 common analyses: homeowners' package (includes the bacteria and nitrate test), metal's package, and the DACT screen. The video was created by the UWSP Water & Environmental Analysis Lab.
Why Participate in Calumet County Private Well Testing Day?
A private well should be sampled annually for bacteria at a minimum. This event provides the annual opportunity (and reminder) to "check up" on your home's drinking water supply. Benefits of participating include bottle pick up & drop off convenience, reduced pricing for group testing participants, and an education night held about five weeks after the event. The education night is an opportunity to learn how to read your results, as well as how to resolve any problems with your water, including plumbing, proper well maintenance, and at home-practices to improve your drinking water.
- Homeowner’s Package: $60
- Includes: coliform bacteria, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, hardness, chlorides, conductivity, and corrosivity index
- Metals Package: $57
- Includes: arsenic, calcium, copper, iron, lead, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, sulfate, and zinc
- DACT Screen: $35
- For Atrazine pesticides (only recommended if nitrates are high)
- Group Testing Package: $146
- All 3 above: homeowner’s package, metals package, and DACT
2021 Group Testing Results
Over 190 wells were sampled on September 13, 2021 and analyzed for coliform bacteria and nitrates. The results of the sampling event are found in the table below. More details are provided in the 2021 Groundwater Report
Results night was held on Oct 20, 2021. A recorded presentation provided details on overall results from the September sampling event along with how to interpret individual results. Meeting Recording
2020 Group Testing Results
Overall, the well results were relatively good compared to previous years. No wells were positive for E.coli. Of the 192 wells that participated in the program, under 25 wells were either unsafe for bacteria and/or nitrate. More details are provided in the 2020 Groundwater Report.
Kevin Masarik from UW-Extension provided an overview to program participant on November 11, 2020. The slides from his presentation are available below.
2020 Calumet County Private Well Testing Program Update (Slide Presentation)
2019 Group Testing Results
The 2019 Groundwater Report is now available. The report highlights the results and analysis of the 2019 Group Testing Program and provides an update on overall groundwater quality in Calumet County. Calumet County Groundwater Report June 2019 (PDF)
For access to the presentation given at the Educational Program on April 30th, please follow the link: K. Masarik April 2019 (PDF)
Summary of Results (PDF) - Provides a breakdown of all parameters analyzed from 191 well test.
2018 Group Testing Results - May 7
Other Parameters Tested: Calcium, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Manganese, Sodium, Lead, Sulfate, Zinc, pH, Conductivity, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Chloride, Diaminochlorotriazine (DACT)